Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Australia Day, the Zoo and photography

Australia Day for us this year was celebrated in a different fashion to previous years. Amongst the discussion about the Australian of the Year Professor Patrick McGorry, population explosion, immigration and whether our flag should change (a change Mieke announced she would support because our flag as it stands "is too hard to draw") we visited the Melbourne Zoo. I don't think we've been to the zoo since Quinn was about 6 months old so it was an outing long overdue.

This strapping fellow below caught my eye and posed handsomely while I snapped away. Then, after watching me put the lense cap back on and relax my grip on the camera, he proceeded to defecate into his hand and nibble it like scroggin. Thank goodness we have evolved further.

The butterfly enclosure is breathtaking, the zoo I think is worth a visit for this alone. They are exquisite creatures. I was able to get some great close ups - you all have been spared the thirtysomething shots I took but here are a couple of my favourites:

Mieke and Quinn with cousin Jack. Quinn adores Jack. Loves him stupid.

The giraffes were Quinn's must see (he admitted to feeling quite scared of the tigers but "I have to look at them anyway". Like his own personal mission). I really like this shot of Mr. Giraffe, my camera did some good work today.

Well ok so I probably don't need to comment on all of these. Look, a penguin!

What you see below was how exciting the lion exhibit got. In my many visits to the zoo over the years I don't recall ever seeing any awake. Anyhoo. I quite like this shot, the dappled lighting creates a nice atmosphere over the beast. They look just like big soft cuddly kitty cats when they're not roaring with their ginormous teeth or tearing apart defenseless animals for their supper...

This needs no introduction! Too cool.

And finally we stopped in to the new seal enclosure with a bit of a show - some handstands, some waving, some fish treats, that sort of thing. Kids enjoyed it. Seals seem to like their home. Despite those scar-looking marks we were informed that the girl below just has wavy hair, cowlicks.
 
Quinn fell asleep about 5.2 minutes into the drive home. Mid stick-wave.

Australia Day 2010 was an enjoyable combination of family, sunshine, happy snaps and animals in captivity. Might be a good tradition to begin. Next year anyone?

No comments: