Sunday, September 23, 2007

Holiday

Well we're back :(

I don't want to be home. We had a semi-serious conversation about moving to Merimbula, or thereabouts. I would absolutely do it tomorrow, but for two reasons. a) Matt having to relocate the shop, or even worse, look for a job, and b) losing our network of babysitters and general helper-outerers. I have friends who are away from their family and have heard how hard it can be. How tempting it would be though to get away from this relentless 'have to' life, and I'd do any job. I'm sick of social work. I'm sick of spending more time than I would like in front of a computer screen and less with the kids I work with. I'm sick of court. Court is a joke, it's a circus. I'm sick of DHS making ridiculous, nonsense decisions about childrens "best interests". I'm sick of the entire staff turnover at DHS every 3.5 days. I'm sick of new graduates being employed by Child Protection, barely out of uni and managing the complexities of damaged, hurting and abusive families. I'm sick of bringing my work issues home and thinking about them into the wee hours when I should be recharging my batteries to look after my own children.

I want to be a florist. Or work in a toy shop.

Good things about going away:
  • You're not at work, you're not at home
  • Excellent uninterrupted, pure family time
  • No cooking
  • It makes you appreciate home and the things that are yours
Bad things about going away:
  • You have to come home and face it all again.
What we did:
-beach
-whale watching off a boat called Sea Eagle
-pool (I'm sure it was sub zero temperature but you'll do anything for kids won't you?)
-beach
-spa
-Magic Mountain (should have its name changed to Dodgy Mountain, but the children loved it and we spent a whole day there)
-beach
-spa
-scenic flight up to Tathra
-beach
-beach
-spa
-beach
-Mieke made friends with identical twins, "Freya and Steve" (actually Freya and Neve, but Mieke couldn't get her head around that).

I'll put up some photos when I get them off the camera.

Kate, who still hasn't completely let go of the idea that we could just move away and do something different...

1 comment:

Penni Russon said...

I'd love to work in a toyshop.
If you move to Merimbula we'll come and visit you.