Friday, March 4, 2011

Swearing

So this morning as we were nearly ready to leave for school Quinn says to me, "I don't feel well enough for school today". I know this is not true and I talk to him about all the fun things he will do today and karate this afternoon. We get to school and his teacher asks for a chat with us. She tells me that yesterday Quinn used some colourful language in the playground and that when pulled up on it, stated he was allowed to swear at home. We had a brief 3 way discussion with me assuring her that this is not the case and that we have also spoken about this very issue at home in recent weeks. Quinn has a friend who likes 'experimenting' with language and I have heard them together many times, giggling and dropping a word casually into a sentence to see if I notice.
It's really tricky to explain to a 5 year old why some words are perfectly okay and some are not.

No comments: