Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The heart of the matter

I have been having heart palpitations. For over a year. The other day I had such a severe pain across my chest that I thought I may be having a heart attack. Naturally, it frightened me. I truly don't want to be dramatic and alarmist, but a) heart disease in women is often difficult to diagnose as the symptoms vary so greatly and b) the biggest killer of women is heart disease (probably in part due to a) and c) I have a history of heart disease in my family. I took myself off to the Doc who was fairly confident that I do not have a heart attack imminent (he advised me to de-stress which is so totally easy peasy, why didn't I think of that?), but sent me off for a variety of tests anyway. One of which was a thyroid blood test, another was a holter monitor that I wore for twenty-four hours which recorded my heart beats and any abnormalities. I had eight electrodes stuck to me with a battery pack and the monitor itself - I felt as though I looked so suspicious when the wires kept popping out of my top during my grocery shop - though it made the checkout person work a bit faster and talk a bit less, so all in all a positive experience.

During those twenty-four hours, not ONE palpitation. I'm hoping it's my thyroid and when I address it I'll lose 10 kgs in a month - the 'skinny minny' with a working thyroid gland. I like the sound of that. I'll keep you posted with results...

2 comments:

Nahlia said...

hey babes, wow I've been having similar for a while myself. At the health expo at work, I didn't even register on the cholesterol scale. BP fine, I didn't get all those tests now I wonder if I should! I wonder if it's stress/anxiety without provocation, creeping up at odd times; at work, when relaxed etc...??? I *think* masseuse said there is a muscle that when very tight can cause H.Ps?

Unknown said...

Come on. Where is some more blog stuff?
That heart stuff didn't take a worse turn did it?