Sunday, April 26, 2009

I'm not staying

Time for kinder on Friday and Quinn announces that he is not going today. I had made an appointment during his kinder session which would have been awkward to take him to. This is how the conversation went:
Me: Well I'm popping into kinder anyway so why don't you see how you feel when we get there?
Quinn: Okay, but I'm not staying.
(At kinder), Me: Would you like to carry your bag?
Quinn: Okay, but I'm not staying today.
Me: Alright well we'll see.
(In kinder), Me: How about you hang your bag on your peg?
Quinn: I'm not staying though.
Me: It can hang there until we go.
Quinn: Okay then. (hangs bag)
Me: Let's see, oh look Quinn the clay is out again. Would you like to sit at the table? Quinn sits at the table. I settle him into the activity.
Me: Alright honeybun I'm going now, I'll see you in a little while, okay?
Quinn: But I'm not staying, member?
Me: Yes I know, I'll come back in a little bit and pick you up.
Quinn: Okay mum.
I speak to teacher on way out and advise of his apprehension this afternoon. She's got it covered.
I return at normal finishing time, 3pm. I am greeted with a beaming little fellow holding the kinder teddy, Maxi Bear. It is Quinn's turn to bring him home for the week. As I sign Quinn out, his teacher tells me he has been fine (as I knew he would), but about 15 minutes ago informed her that he is not staying today.


1 comment:

Dave said...

Love it! :)
And I'm so glad you were able to concede to his desire not to stay (actually, we still do that as adults at work - "I'm leaving early today' no really I am, see I'm just packing up now, I'm not staying...")